Chicken and Mushroom Pie
19/10/14 18:08 Filed in: British - Main
Chicken and Mushroom Pie has to be one of the all time great comfort foods.
Here in London, it is cold damp and windy. Not pleasant at all - especially with it being dark going and returning from work.
This is where comfort food excels and one reason why I love the Autumn/Winter seasons. Out with the salads and in with the hearty stews, pies and puss! The kitchen comes alive with mouth watering smells.
My Chicken Pie, is a little bit of a faff, what with cooking the ingredients separately, however, it is well worth the effort. I like my pie to come complete with the vegetables, so I parboil the broccoli, add sweetcorn and delicious butter fried golden chestnut mushrooms. The leeks, shallot and garlic add a lovely depth. The tarragon and white wine give subtle complexity to the filling.
I reckon this pie takes a good 60 minutes of preparation, so generally better for a weekend.
Saying that, I made this on a Tuesday night for my sister-in-law. I confess I was sweating by the end of it, but got it in the oven in under half an hour!
This tastes even better for left overs. I personally like to serve this with homemade piccalilli.
for the chicken and mushroom pie [serves 8] :
1 chicken, roasted
1 leek, roughly chopped
4 shallots, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 head of broccoli, broken into mouth size florets
1 packet of chestnut mushrooms
1 tin sweetcorn
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
1 packet of all butter puff pastry
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper
for the white sauce :
75 g butter
6 tbsp flour
175 ml white wine
250 ml chicken stock
150 ml double cream
4 stems of tarragon, leaves only
zest of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
for the chicken and mushroom pie :
1) Add the butter and one tablespoon of oil to a small frying pan on a medium heat.
2) Add the sliced mushrooms, and sauté for 5-6 minutes. Turn the mushrooms when golden brown. Once cooked on both sides, remove and set aside.
3) Place a larger frying pan on a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and cook the diced leeks and shallots.
4) Once softened, add the garlic and cook for a further 3-4 minutes on a low heat.
5) Parboil the broccoli florets. I add them to salted boiling water, wait for the water to go back to a boil, and remove after exactly four minutes. Cooling the broccoli down immediately in cold water will preserve the green colour.
6) Place the sweetcorn, broccoli, mushrooms, shallots and leeks into a pie dish.
7) Sprinkle the cooked chicken on top.
8) Add a bay leaf.
9) Top with the white sauce, and if leave to cool in the fridge.
10) Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
11) Roll out the puff pastry to a size 4 cm bigger than the pie dish in all directions.
12) Gently roll the pastry over the pie, pressing gently with your fingers around the edges.
13) Egg wash liberally, before sprinkling with salt, pepper and paprika over the top.
14) Make a couple of slashes in the pie to allow the steam to come out, and keep the pastry crispy.
15) Cook for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden all over.
16) Serve immediately.
for the white sauce :
1) Place the butter in a medium sauce pan and melt until frothing.
2) Whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste.
3) Add the wine and continue whisking until smooth.
4) Now add the cream and again whisk till smooth.
5) Add the chicken stock, whisk and continue to cook until it reaches a strong simmer. By this stage the sauce will be thickened. If it looks too thick, or you need more volume, add milk by the desired amount.
6) Reduce the heat to low.
7) Add the tarragon leaves and lemon zest.
8) Whisk once more, season, taste and adjust if necessary.
Dice the mushrooms
Melt the butter in a small frying pan with a tablespoon of oil to stop the butter burning
Add the mushrooms when the butter is fizzing
Dice the leek
Peel the shallots
Chicken and Mushroom Pie : Dice the shallots">
Dice the shallots
Fry the shallot and leek in oil over a gentle heat
Break the broccoli into small chunks
Add the broccoli to boiling salted water, once back to the boil cook for 4 minutes before draining. Set aside.
Turn the mushrooms over when golden brown
Cook the leeks until softened
Add the garlic
Begin to prepare the pie, by adding the sweetcorn and broccoli to the pie dish
Add the fried mushrooms
Remove the chicken from the bone, discarding the skin
Chicken flaked and ready for the pie
Add the leeks and shallots
Add the chicken and bay leaf
Add the butter to a small saucepan
When the butter begins to froth, add the flour, whisking constantly
Chicken and Mushroom Pie : Whisk in the butter">
Whisk in the flour
Add the white wine
Add the cream, chicken stock and continue to whisk. If you need more volume of sauce, add some milk
Remove the tarragon leaves from the stems, dice roughly
Add the tarragon
Add the lemon zest
Roll out the pastry
Beat an egg
Egg wash, season and sprinkle some paprika over the top to make it pretty
Ready for the oven
Fresh from the oven, golden brown and looking lovely
Close up, from the oven
Ok, last one!
Served and ready to be eaten!