Crab and Scallop Stuffed Ravioli with Spicy Prawn Bisque
20/04/14 09:00 Filed in: Italian - Main
I was watching Masterchef last week and they were making stuffed ravioli for the quarter final. It reminded me of this dish I made for a future boss and his wife a couple of years ago. The beauty of the dish is that it can all be made in advance at your convenience. Cook the ravioli when ready to serve, and warm the bisque through - not hard .
Being a Bank Holiday weekend and what with the weather being cold and not inviting to jump, I had extra time to play in the kitchen. This is not a particularly difficult dish to make, although it is made significantly easier by having a pasta machine and a ravioli cutter. The stuffing has a fantastic fresh flavour from the crab and tarragon. You will need a pasta cutter, but a rolling pin will suffice for the pasta.
The spicy prawn bisque is amazing, a wonderful voyage of flavours. The prawn bisque with the brandy adds depth and the star anise wows the tastebuds. When you bite into the ravioli, a wonderful sea fresh taste is received followed by the aniseed.
Only homemade pasta will do for this dish. It cooks in under 2 minutes, keeping the scallop slices tender and delicious.
for the spicy prawn bisque [serves 4] :
1 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1/2 leek, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
3 cm ginger, diced
1 red thai chilli diced
1 lemongrass stick, bruised
3 star anise seeds
5 cherry tomatoes, diced
350 g tiger prawn, shells only
3 crab claw shells
50 g basmati rice
50 ml brandy
500 ml chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 - 2 tbsp creme fraiche
for the crab and scallop ravioli [serves 4] :
250 g fresh pasta dough
150 g white crab meat (3 cooked crab claws, picked clean), reserve shell
4 tiger prawns, finely diced
4 scallops, cut horizontally into three slices
25 g tarragon, finely diced (about 1 tbsp)
50 g curly parsley, finely diced (about 2 tbsp)
2 red Thai chillies, finely diced
1 tbsp single cream
salt and pepper to taste
for the garnish:
1 spring onion
for the pasta [serves 4] :
for the spicy prawn bisque :
1) Place a large saucepan on a medium heat.
2) Add the olive oil and the carrot.
3) Cook for a couple of minutes till the carrot has softened. Stir to avoid burning.
4) Add the leek and celery and continue to cook until the leek starts to golden.
5) Add the star anise, tomatoes, chilli and ginger and lemongrass and continue to cook until a dark golden brown colour develops.
6) Add the prawn shells and cook for a further minute on a high heat, stirring continuously.
7) Add the rice and mix well.
8) Add the brandy and flambé.
9) Add the chicken stock and simmer on a moderate heat for 20 minutes.
10) Strain into a pot, through a sieve and set aside.
11) When ready to serve, warm and then add the creme fraiche and stir well with a whisk.
12) Check the seasoning and serve immediately in a bowl, with the ravioli on top.
for the crab and scallop ravioli :
for the filling :
1) In a small mixing bowl, add the crab meat and diced tiger prawn.
2) Add the herbs, chilli and single cream.
3) Mix well and leave to cool for 20 minutes in the fridge.
4) Seasonal well with salt and pepper.
to make the ravioli :
1) Sprinkle flour over a large plate.
2) Roll out the pasta dough (see here for guidelines), to grade 1.
3) Using a ravioli cutter, add a slice of scallop, followed by a tablespoon of the crab mix.
4) Rub water around the edge of the ravioli.
5) Seal with the ravioli cutter
6) Place on the plate and repeat till the mix is used up.
to cook :
1) Place a large pan of water on the hob and bring to the boil.
2) Salt heavily. Reduce the heat to medium. (You want a moderate simmer, no more, otherwise the pasta may burst).
3) Cook the ravioli, in batches of 3, for 1-2 minutes - they will pop to the surface when ready.
4) Serve immediately on top of the spicy prawn bisque. Top with sliced spring onion and chilli.
Pasta Starting Ingredients
Prawn Bisque Starting Ingredients
Ravioli Starting Ingredients
Dice the carrot
Dice the leek
Dice the celery
Cook the carrot till soft
Add the leek and celery and cook till browned
Finely dice the ginger
Bruise the lemongrass
Chop the tomatoes
Add in the chilli, ginger, star anise, tomatoes and lemon grass
Cook of the shells and then add the rice
Carefully pour in the Brandy
Woohoo! Flambe ￼
Add the chicken stock and simmer moderately for 20 minutes
Dice the Tiger prawn
Dice the herbs
Combine the ingredients
Add the cream and mix well. Leave to cool
Spicy Prawn Bisque ready
Slice the scallops
Roll out the pasta
Lay a slice of scallop on the base of the ravioli
Make the ravioli
Cook the ravioli
Add the creme fraiche and whisk till smooth
Garnish with spring onion and chilli