How to Make Pasta
Pasta is so delicious when you take the time to make it fresh.
Unlike bread, it is ready in 20-30 minutes.
Whether to make lasagne, spaghetti or ravioli, for instance, the extra oomph in flavour from homemade pasta never fails to impress guests.
Do stick with the fork method I describe. I tried a couple of times and failed, as I had no patience. The reward in using this method, is that you keep your hands clean!
Investing in a pasta machine really is imperative in order to achieve the best results.
After a couple of attempts, this is really quite easy. At the beginning, however, a second pair of hands is advisable when using the pasta machine!
for the pasta [serves 4] :
200g ’00’ flour
1 tbsp of olive oil
pinch of sea salt
pinch of white pepper
for the pasta :
1) Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
2) Make a well in the middle.
3) Add the olive oil.
4) Sprinkle the sea salt all over. Repeat with the pepper.
5) Crack the eggs into the well.
6) Using a fork whisk the eggs, incorporating the flour from the side.
7) Keep whisking with the fork, until all the flour has incorporated.
8) Using your fingers, move the pasta dough around edge, until all the flour has been cleaned from the sides.
9) Turn out onto a very lightly floured surface and kneed for 5-10 minutes, until smooth. (Flour your hands as well to avoid sticking).
10) Shape into a ball and wrap in cling film.
11) Cool for at least 30 minutes.
to roll out the pasta, using a machine :
1) Prepare the pasta machine. Sprinkle a little flour on the rollers.
2) Cut the pasta dough in half.
3) Shape into a 2 cm thick oblong.
4) Using a pasta machine, go through once at the thickest setting.
5) Sprinkle a little flour across the dough and fold length ways. Push firmly around the edges to seal the two sides together.
6) Run back through the machine.
7) Sprinkle again with flour and fold again. Again press around the edges, pushing together. Repeat this process on the pasta machine’s highest thickness setting for 6 rolls.
8) Reduce the thickness of the machine by 1 notch. Run the pasta through the machine. Again, sprinkle with flour and fold and press the edges.
9) Run back through the machine. Sprinkle with flour and fold, press the edges.
10) Repeat this process two rolls per notch on the machine. Keep going to the desired pasta thickness. (I generally use 1 for lasagne/ravioli and 0 for spaghetti).
Pasta Starting Ingredients
Add the flour, make a well in the middle. Season.
Add the olive oil
Add in the eggs
Whisk with a fork, bring in the four from the outside
Dough now brought together and ready to be kneaded
Kneed the dough to stretch the glutens
Once the dough is smooth, shape into a ball
Setup the pasta machine and sprinkle with flour
Roll out the pasta
Sprinkle with flour
Fold, pressing down the edges
Pasta shaped into Ravioli