Soy and Honey Chicken Kebabas on a Spicy Raw Vegetable Salad
Coming home late on a Sunday Evening, there was no desire to prepare a Sunday Roast.
Instead, I used this always reliable fall back. The salad is raw and very quick to make.
The marinade takes a couple of minutes to make. The chicken is succulent and has a great caramelised and chilli hot flavour - tempered by the honey and lemon.
If you have no time, skip marinading the chicken, and grill immediately.
The same ingredients can be quickly fried in the wok as an alternative.
A healthy and cheap Chinese main, suitable as a quick evening meal.
for the soy and honey kebabs [serves 2] :
for the chicken marinade:
1 chicken breast, cut for kebabs
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
6 cm knob of ginger, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
3 red thai chillies, finely diced
for the kebabs :
3 spring onion
4 cherry tomatoes
for the spicy salad [serves 2] :
1/2 romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 gem lettuce, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
1 spring onion, chopped on the diagonal
6 tomatoes, sliced into 6 segments
1 tsp chilli oil
1/2 tsp soy
salt and pepper to taste
handful of mint, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
handful of peanuts, diced
for the soy and honey kebabs :
for the chicken marinade:
1) Add all the ingredients, except the chicken into a freezer bag and mix well.
2) Add the chicken and massage through the bag.
3) Leave to marinade for as long as you have. (I left it for an hour in the fridge).
for the kebabs:
1) Soak 4 bamboo skewers in a bowl for 10 minutes.
2) Make the kebabs, using the chicken and vegetables.
3) Place on a tin foil lined grill tray.
4) Baste with the marinade.
3) Cook under a high grill for 6 minutes, reapply the marinade to the chicken every 2 minutes.
4) Turn the kebabs over and reapply the marinade. Cook for a further 6 minutes, basting every 2 minutes.
5) Serve immediately on the bed of salad.
for the spicy salad :
1) Place all the vegetable on a serving platter
2) Sprinkle over the peanuts and mint
3) Drizzle over the chilli oil.
4) Season well.
5) Toss the salad very gently using your hands.
6) Sprinkle over the lemon and serve
Dice the chillies
Add the garlic and ginger to the freezer bag
Add the wet ingredients and mix well with your hands
Prepare the chicken breast
Leave to marinade in the fridge
Make the chicken kebabs
Place the kebabs on a foil lined grill tray
Prepare the carrots for the salad
Chop the spring onion on the diagonal
Toss the salad gently
Turn the chicken kebabs over
Add the kebabs to the salad and serve
Chicken kebab close up
Soy and Honey Chicken Kebabs