Succulent Sticky Pork Ribs with Spicy Smoked Potato Wedges and Fresh Salad with Mustard Dressing
18/04/14 09:05 Filed in: American - Main
Once in a while it is great to get your fingers sticky and eat your meat off the bone with your hands. In posher establishments, you may expect a lemon dipping bath - but round my house kitchen towel will suffice!
After much experimentation with various concoctions, this is my version of Sticky Pork Ribs.
The brining of the pork ribs really helps to keep the meat moist and succulent. The marinade, as you would expect with my cooking, is fiery, sweet and oh so sticky
These are quick to make and will definitely become a household favourite. Pork ribs are cheap to buy from the butcher, making this an economical meal. If you do not have ketchup manis and special mountain sauce, try a tablespoon of black treacle, a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce and a tablespoon of soy as a substitute.
I served the ribs with a tangy fresh salad dressed and mustard dressing, jerked sweetcorn, coleslaw and some spicy smokey potato wedges. It was greatly appreciated having come home famished after hour flying in the indoor wind tunnel for an hour!
for the succulent sticky pork ribs [serves 4] :
for the brine :
2 racks of pork ribs
50 ml dark soy sauce
for the marinade :
50 g soft brown sugar
25 ml rice wine vinegar
50 ml miring wine
50 ml soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup manis
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp special mountain sauce
1/2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 scotch bonnet chillies, finely diced
3 thai green chillies, finely diced
6 cm ginger (about 2tbsp), finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
for the fresh salad [serves 2] :
8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 romano red pepper, halved and julienned
1 gem lettuce, chopped coarsely
2 spring onions, halved lengthways and finely diced
1/2 lemon juiced
salt and pepper to taste
for the dressing :
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red whine vinegar
1/2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
for the spicy potato wedges [serves 2] :
for the succulent sticky pork ribs :
for the brine :
1) In a large saucepan add the soy sauce and ribs.
2) Cover the ribs with water and put on a medium heat.
3) Simmer for 15 minutes and leave to cool for 20 minutes. Skim off the scum that rises to the surface.
4) Remove the ribs and cool.
for the marinade :
1) In a small saucepan, on a low heat, warm the sugar, soy, mirin and rice wine vinegar, until the sugar has dissolved.
2) Add the garlic, chilli and ginger, cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
3) Add the ketchup, tomato puree, ketchup manis, special mountain sauce and cook for a further 2-3 minutes on a low heat until syrupy.
4) Leave to cool.
5) Add the marinade to a freezer bag.
6) Add the cooled pork ribs, massage in the marinade and leave for a minimum of 1 hour. Personally I prefer to leave the ribs over night in the freezer to really let the flavours to develop.
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 2.
2) Place the ribs, meat side up, on a metal rack in a tin foil lined tray. Brush on marinade on both side and cover loosely with foil, avoiding touching the ribs.
3) Cook for 45 minutes.
4) Remove from the oven and reapply the marinade on both sides.
5) Turn up the heat to gas mark 6.
6) Cook the pork ribs for 15 minutes and reapply the marinade.
7) Reapply the last of the marinade. I normally cut the end off the freezer bag at this point and squeeze the last of the marinade all over the ribs.
8) Sprinkle over with the sesame seeds and return to the oven for the last 15 minutes.
9) Serve immediately with kitchen towel. These are finger lickin’ good!!!
for the fresh salad and mustard dressing :
1) Place the prepared vegetables on a serving dish.
2) Mix up the dressing ingredients in a cup.
3) Drizzle over the dressing when ready to serve.
4) Season well and serve.
Marinade starting ingredients
Add the soy sauce
Add the pork ribs
Cover and bring to a simmer
In a small saucepan, add the sugar, mirin and rice wine vinegar
Add the soy sauce, heat gently till the sugar dissolves
Dice the ginger, add to the marinade
Dice the garlic, add to the marinade
Dice the chilli peppers, add to the marinade
Add the ketchup manis, special mountain sauce, tomato puree, ketchup and mustard
Heat the marinade till thick and syrupy
Place the pork ribs on a wire rack and baste
Remove the tin foil cover and reapply the marinade
Add the last of the marinade
Sprinkle over with sesame seeds
Julienne the Romano pepper
Dice the spring onion
Add julienned cucumber
Add the chopped gem lettuce
Dress the salad and season
Pork ribs sticky and ready!
And another !